Giving the Gift of Joy
Christmas is supposed to be a time of happiness and hope as we celebrate the birth of our Savior with family and friends. For many people in Wake County, however, hunger, poverty and the cold prevent them from experiencing the joy of the season. With your help, the Salvation Army of Wake County brings the miracle of Christmas to over 15,000 people each year through a variety of community programs.
Check back for more specific details and opportunities in October!
- Christmas Grocery Baskets Our food pantry distributes Christmas baskets each December so families can enjoy a wonderful home-cooked meal for this holiday. Please consider providing items for Wake County families in need... they will be so thankful.
Each basket contains the following:
• 1 Whole Turkey (frozen) or turkey breast
• 1 can of cranberry sauce
• 2 cans of green beans
• 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
• 1 can of french-fried onions
• 2 boxes of stuffing
• 2 (29oz) cans of sweet potatoes
• 1 small box of brown sugar
• 1 bag of miniature marshmallows
• 2 cans of regular or creamed corn
• 1 bag of rolls (fresh or frozen)
• 1 frozen pie (cannot be homemade)
- Coats for the Children Through a partnership with WRAL-TV, the Salvation Army provides coats and winter clothing vouchers from October through February of each year. Please donate any gently used or new coats for men, women and children throughout the year and give the gift of warmth.
- Angel Tree Through this program, thousands of children get to experience the delight of opening gifts on Christmas day. The Angel Tree, displayed at Crabtree Valley Mall and Triangle Town Center Mall in Raleigh, as well as Cary Towne Center, holds the names of children for whom you or your group/company can purchase new clothing and toys. Interested in adopting a family of children, or a large quantity of angels? Contact us for more information. Not able to make it to the mall? You can also adopt an angel online! Check back in November to see how you can adopt an angel online!
- Toy Shop A makeshift Christmas toy shop is temporarily set up during the month of December and needy families have the opportunity to shop for free toys for their children. Consider donating new toys to fill up this magical shop.
- Capital City Clauses Jingle Ball The Capital City Clauses is a federally registered, non-profit organization comprised entirely of volunteers. Each year they host the Jingle Ball, where admission is a new unwrapped toy valued at $20 or more. All toys and gifts collected at the annual Jingle Ball are distributed to children in need through The Salvation Army of Wake County's Christmas Cheer Program. To learn more about the annual Jingle Ball or the Capital City Clauses, please visit their website at www.jingleball.org.
- Christmas Stockings Individuals and civic groups from the community volunteer to stuff stockings full of toys and treats for needy children in Wake County.
- Gift Packs Volunteers distribute Christmas gift packages to adults in need, including nursing home residents and prison inmates.