In 1887 The Salvation Army began serving the people of Wake County by aiding over 500 prisoners
in the state penitentiary. Since that time, we have been providing food, clothing, shelter and countless
services to assist those in need.
The Twentieth Century brought depression, wars and even prosperity. But whatever the climate of society, need was ever-present. And The Salvation Army was always there to comfort, nurture, give refuge. In 1929 we aided 1405 individuals and dealt with 1,308 cases of family poverty. And in 1937, we were able to purchase the Person Street property.
With soldiers returning from the European and Pacific battlefields, and families losing members to the fighting, World War II brought a major increase in the number of people who needed help. In 1940 alone, The Salvation Army served 9,641 meals, gave 4,338 persons free lodging and provided clothing for over 1,000. By 1967 over 29,000 people were being assisted annually, and we began construction on our new Community Service Center. Over the following decades, the number served each year continued to rise.
In 2013, the current headquarters was built at the Judy D. Zelnak Center of Hope on Capital Blvd. Even in the new millennium there is no reprieve from poverty, despair, or, yet we are still here, Doing Good. We serve over 100,000 people per year and we go wherever we are needed, supplying essentials both tangible and spiritual, and providing love in action.
The Salvation Army began serving the people of Wake County
Aided 1405 individuals and dealt with 1308 cases of family poverty
The Salvation Army served 9641 meals, gave 4338 persons free lodging and provided clothing for over 1000
29,000 people were being assisted annually and began construction on the Community Center