A Contemplative Prayer Walk to Support Survivors of Domestic Trafficking and Commercial Sexual Exploitation
“In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness.
We do not know what we ought to pray,
but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans
that words cannot express.”
- Romans 8:26
#1: What is Human Trafficking?
Human trafficking is the use of force, fraud (lies), or coercion (use of force or intimidation to obtain compliance). It spans races, genders, and classes. Victims can be women, men, children, and families. There freedom is taken from them. They are made to work long hours with little to no compensation. They are taken advantage of and abused. Human trafficking is modern day slavery driven by the demand for cheaper labor, more profit, objectifying women, and lustful desires.
Pray that the Lord would prepare your heart for what you are about to see as you go through the stations that you may hear His voice.
Pray for understanding and peace, as this walk may be difficult.
He executes justice for the orphan and the widow, and shows His love for the alien by giving him food and clothing.
#2 Labor Trafficking
Labor trafficking is the use of force, fraud, or coercion to make someone work without receiving fair payment. They are often tricked into believing they would have legitimate work. Some forms that labor trafficking can take on are farming, maids, nannies, sweat shops, and mail order brides held as slaves in their own homes.
- Pray for awareness about the issue of labor trafficking to grow.
- Pray for better understanding of the issues and laws surrounding labor trafficking and wisdom for law enforcement.
- Pray for lawmakers to gain greater understanding of the issues and for more protective laws to be passed so these victims can receive the help they need.
Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.
“I tell you, whoever publicly acknowledges me before others, the Son of Man will also acknowledge before the angels of God.
Woe to him who builds his house without righteousness and his upper rooms without justice, who uses his neighbor’s services without pay and does not give him his wages.
#3 Sex Trafficking / Red Light District
Human trafficking takes place all over the world, especially in what is typically referred to as the red-light district. These are located across the United States, Europe, and Southeast Asia.
- Pray that the demonic strongholds and resulting bondage over these areas of the world would be broken in Jesus name.
- Pray for physical and spiritual freedom for all those who are living in redlight districts.
- Ask God to unify, strengthen, and empower believers who are serving Him as missionaries / native missionaries in these areas of the world.
- Pray that God would send more messengers of love and compassion into the red-light districts.
Who executes justice for the oppressed; Who gives food to the hungry. The LORD sets the prisoners free.
Do not degrade your daughter by making her a prostitute, or the land will turn to prostitution and be filled with wickedness.
#4 Demand / World, US, Raleigh
Trafficking in persons is a demand-driven phenomenon. “If men stopped buying sex today, sex trafficking would not exist tomorrow.” Prostitution, pornography, strip clubs, adult entertainment, massage parlors, and other forms of commercial sex are all sustained by the exploitation of persons who are being used and abused for the lustful desires of mostly men. We need to pray that God would convict those men around the world who are purchasing commercial sex to repent from their behaviors and turn to God for strength to live lives of sexual integrity and honor.
- Pray that those men who purchase commercial sex of any form would be convicted of their sins, and would turn to God in repentance.
- Pray in Jesus name that the messages being sent through media and culture that encourage sexually exploitive behavior would not take root in people’s hearts, but would fall to the ground void.
- Pray for young men - that God would take hold of their hearts at an early age and give them a godly understanding of manhood, a passion for honoring and respecting women, and a radical desire to lead lives of sexual purity.
- Pray that the enemy’s schemes to destroy people’s lives through sexual immorality would be destroyed, and that God’s original plan for sex as a gift within marriage would be restored to society.
- Pray all of these prayers for yourself, and for 5 men that you know.
You, Lord, hear the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry,
defending the fatherless and the oppressed, so that mere earthly mortals will never again strike terror.
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
The LORD will protect him and keep him alive, And he shall be called blessed upon the earth; And do not give him over to the desire of his enemies.
“Therefore, you Israelites, I will judge each of you according to your own ways, declares the Sovereign Lord. Repent! Turn away from all your offenses; then sin will not be your downfall. Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, people of Israel?
#5: Healing for Survivors
Sexual exploitation has devastating effects on a person’s physical, emotional, psychological and spiritual well-being. The abuse done to those whom have been prostituted is inconceivably evil, and can ravage the whole person. When a person has been rescued from prostitution/trafficking, they carry a well of excruciating experiences that can severely impair their ability to lead a fulfilling life. The good news is that there is hope. There is a value in every person that is indestructible. No matter how devalued a person has been, God’s value of a person never diminishes. God valued people so much that He sent His Son Jesus to offer His life as a sacrifice on the cross. Through this precious sacrifice, healing and new life is available to all who will believe.
- Pray that survivors of sex trafficking and commercial sexual exploitation would receive new life through the love of Jesus Christ.
- Pray for a supernatural restoration of all that was lost during their time of abuse.
- Pray for healing for victims of sex trafficking and commercial sexual exploitation; inner healing, emotional healing, physical healing, psychological healing, and spiritual healing.
- Pray that God would call more people to minister His healing to survivors.
The LORD also will be a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.
The Lord appeared to us in the past, saying: “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing kindness.
And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Our soul has escaped as a bird out of the snare of the trapper; The snare is broken and we have escaped. Our help is in the name of the Lord, who made heaven and earth.
#6: United Response / Project FIGHT/ NC
There is a growing response to the trafficking of persons in the world today, but we need to pray that the response to this terrible injustice would be increasingly formulated with a united front. In order to eradicate the activity of the traffickers and exploiters, we need to respond to their actions with the same, and even greater degree of organization, determination, and unity.
- Ask God to protect all those who are working to combat commercial sexual exploitation.
- Pray that God would unify the various groups who are working on trafficking.
- Ask God to weed out any current divisions between people/groups, and to protect the people who are working in this field from future divisions.
- Pray that God would raise up peacemakers in this fight who will serve as Ambassadors to other ideologies.
- Ask God to raise up public officials with integrity and strength who have a passion for ending commercial sexual exploitation.
- Ask God to make you a vessel of truth, peace, and strength.
1 Corinthians 12:25-26
So that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.
‘It shall come about on that day,’ declares the Lord of hosts, ‘that I will break his yoke from off their neck and will tear off their bonds; and strangers will no longer make them their slaves.
Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow.
Vindicate the weak and fatherless; Do justice to the afflicted and destitute.
#7: Justice/ How it relates to your generation?
Our God is the Ancient of Days who will someday return to this earth and right every wrong. He will not forget the terrible offenses that have been, and are being, committed against those who are exploited and abused. He sees the corruption and the injustice that allows this horrific crime to flourish, and He will take vengeance. We are called to be the mediators of God’s justice on the earth.
- Pray that corruption would cease.
- Pray for law enforcement officers of integrity.
- Pray for the preservation and implementation of the rule of law in countries throughout the world.
- Pray that Justice would be done on behalf of those who are oppressed through commercial sexual exploitation.
For I am the Lord your God
who takes hold of your right hand
and says to you, Do not fear;
I will help you.
Who executes justice for the oppressed;
Who gives food to the hungry.
The Lord sets the prisoners free.
“Is this not the fast which I choose, To loosen the bonds of wickedness, To undo the bands of the yoke, And to let the oppressed go free And break every yoke?
He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.
“But let justice roll down like waters And righteousness like an ever-flowing stream.
#8: Memorial for Captives and Casualties of Human Trafficking
You are at a memorial to men, women, and children who are captives of the human trafficking industry. These candles represent the countless lives of those who are currently caught up in or trafficked into the sex and labor industries as well as those who have lost their lives. Take some time to be still before the Lord and offer yourself as a vessel of prayer on behalf of those who are victims of commercial sexual exploitation and labor trafficking. If you wish, light a candle as a memorial to those enslaved and victims, and as a symbol of your offering of prayer unto the Lord on their behalf.
- Pray for healing and comfort for the families of victims who have passed.
- Pray for freedom to be brought to those still in captivity.
- Pray that we as a nation would not turn a blind eye to the tragedies going on here in our own country and all across the world.
He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
But I will restore you to health and heal your wounds,’ declares the Lord, ‘because you are called an outcast, Zion for whom no one cares.’
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”
#9: Personal Reflection
Take this time to process all that you have taken in. Pray and meditate on the scriptures. Speak to the Lord about what is on your heart. Write in the blank space what you are “fighting for”, or what inspires you to fight for victims of human trafficking.
Ideas: hope, children, freedom, justice, truth, etc.
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.
1 God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
3 though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.
4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells.
5 God is within her, she will not fall;
God will help her at break of day.
6 Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
he lifts his voice, the earth melts.
7 The Lord Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
8 Come and see what the Lord has done,
the desolations he has brought on the earth.
9 He makes wars cease
to the ends of the earth.
He breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
he burns the shields with fire.
10 He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.”
11 The Lord Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
“The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, Because He anointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor.
He has sent Me to proclaim release to the captives, And recovery of sight to the blind,
To set free those who are oppressed."