2020 Christmas Opportunities
The Need Has Always Been There. This Year, It's Just Greater.
The Salvation Army serves those in need every day of the year, but at Christmas time, we go the extra mile to serve families and individuals who need a helping hand. And for the first time in 130 years, The Salvation Army is starting its annual holiday fundraising campaign early across the country in order to rescue Christmas. Funds raised through our iconic red kettles are at risk this year due to COVID-19, while requests for services are at an all-time high.
Based on the increase in services already provided in response to the pandemic, we are expecting to see an increased need during the holidays, including families requesting food boxes, rent assistance and Christmas toy assistance (assuming the resources are available). In Greenville, Pickens & Oconee Counties, we served 31,000 people last year. If we continue to see the same level of increased requests for service, our social services offices may help more individuals and families in need than ever before this holiday season.
So as the holiday season approaches, we ask that you help us rescue Christmas for families in need in our community. Whether you volunteer at a red kettle, adopt an Angel or donate monetarily, you help us help others! If you want to help or if you need help, you can find opportunities and resources below:
If You Want To Help:
- The best way to ensure our year-round services continue is to enlist in the Army that’s Doing the Most Good with a sustaining monthly gift of $25 per month.
- To ensure the safety of bell ringers, donors and partners, The Salvation Army has adopted nationally mandated safety protocols. We will be announcing more information about kettles soon!
- Ask Amazon Alexa to donate by saying, “Alexa, donate to The Salvation Army,” then specifying the amount.
- Give any amount by texting “KETTLES” to 41444.
- Donate physical gifts in bulk. Please email us here to speak to someone about this donation option.
- Adopt additional Angels to give hope and joy to kids and families in need through The Salvation Army’s Angel Tree program. More information about adopting Angel tree tags in Greenville, Pickens & Oconee Counties will be announced soon!
If You Need Help:
- If you need help providing Christmas gifts to your children (ages 0-12), click here to learn more.
- If you need help paying rent/utilities and your need is directly caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, please fill out our rent assistance request form here. In order to fill out this form, you will need a password, which will be given to you during a pre-screening evaluation. To receive this evaluation, please call the United Way of Greenville's 211 helpline. The 211 helpline operator will ask you questions regarding your location, type of assistance, income level, access to internet and other relevant questions. Once approved, the United Way operator will give you the password required to fill out this form.
- If you need help with rent/utilities, clothing, food, etc. and your need is NOT directly caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, please fill out the general assistance form here (English) or here (Spanish) to submit your request for help.