Emergency Services

There when you need us most.

Are you in need of emergency services? Call us at 919-688-7306, ext. 100, between 7:30-8:00AM, Monday-Friday. Leave a message stating your name, phone number, county of residence and your need. We return calls in the order they were received and make appointments accordingly.

Burnout & Natural Disaster

Each year families throughout Durham, Orange, and Person counties are victims of a house fire or natural disaster. This program provides the individual/family a voucher to receive clothing and/or furniture from The Salvation Army Family Store. Clothing assistance is limited to every six months.

Food Assistance

The Salvation Army of Durham aims to ensure that no one in our community will go without a meal. Together, we can end the hunger struggle in Durham, Orange, and Person county. Families and individuals in need are eligible for food assistance every 90 days. The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP) recipients are eligible for food assistance once a week. We happily welcome donations, volunteers, and food drives! Contact us for more information via the forms below, or download a list of current acceptable donations.

Acceptable Donations Volunteer Host Food Drive

Rent & Utility Assistance

A person who has received an eviction or cut-off notice may receive emergency assistance for rent or utilities. This assistance is coordinated with other area community agencies. Payments are made directly to the utility or landlord in order to ensure continued services for at least 30 to 60 days.

Christmas Angel Tree

Each year, toys and clothing are collected through our Angel Tree Program. With the support of local businesses throughout Durham, Orange, and Person counties, we are able to spread the joy of Christmas to many needy children. On an annual basis, we will serve more than 2,000 children (up to age 12) through these programs, as well as, distributing gift cards to more than 100 less fortunate teens. Registration for Christmas Angel Tree begins in September. Call our main office to find out how to get assistance, or to "adopt" a family for Christmas.