The 2014 Ken Carlson Garden Club Report
Craving a little summer? Please read Margaret Savoca's Garden Club Report and learn about the wonderful program she is providing to our children!
Low Income Energy Assistance Program
The Salvation Army currently has funds available to help low-income families with their heating bills. Call 336 722-8721 to make an appointment!
LIEAP, the Low Income Energy Assistance Program, gives families a one-time vendor payment to help pay their heating bills. Eligible clients may receive a payment of $200 to $400 posted to their energy account (depending on family size and income). The payment will be made directly to the client's utility provider beginning around the first week of February, 2014.
Who is eligible?
Families and/or individuals must meet all of the following criteria:
1. Household must meet the income guidelines.
2. Household must be responsible for its own heating bills.
3. Household cannot have any available resources (above normal monthly income) over $2,200.
4. The household must include a U.S. citizen or an eligible alien.
5. From December 1, 2014 through January 31, 2015 (or until funds are exhausted) the household must have at least one person who is age 60 or older, or at least one disabled person who is receiving services through the state's Division of Aging and Adult Services (DAAS).
6. From January 5, 2015, 2014 through March 31, 2014 (or until funds are exhausted) all low income households may apply.
Where do I apply?
The eligible individual or his/her representative needs to apply at The Salvation Army located at 901 N. Cleveland Avenue in Winston-Salem.
How do I apply?
First, you must call 336-722-8721 for an appointment. Only a limited number of applicants can be processed in a single day. Walk-in appointments are possible, but will most likely not be seen the same day.
When do I apply?
Applications for disabled persons receiving services through the Division of Aging and Adult Services (DAAS), or households in which one household member is age 60 and older, will be seen December 2, 2014 through March 31, 2015 (or until funds are exhausted). Applications for any low income household may be taken from February 3, 2015 through March 31, 2015 or until funds are exhausted.
Clents must bring all of the following items:
1. A photo ID of the client
2. A Social Security Card or I.T.I.N. card for every household member (or number on an official document)
3. Birth Certificate for every child in the household 18 years of age or younger, or Medicaid card with birthday. A "mother's Verification of Facts" is ONLY acceptable if it includes an electronically printed birthdate.
4. If you are on Social Security disability, you must bring a copy of your SS Disability Award Letter or a bank statement showing your SS deposit.
5. Proof of age for any household member over the age of 60 (Photo ID, birth certificate)
6. Proof of income for one month. (pay stubs, bank statement, Social Security Award letter, unemployment insurance letter, etc. Please note thast clients with no income may still apply, but if there is income, the client must have proof of income received over the past 30 days.
7. A copy of the most recent bill/statement from the vendor who provides your primary source of heating. The bill/statement should be in the name of the person applying for assistance. If you provide a utility bill for verification of your utility expense and the bill is not in your name, you need to provide a written statement from the person whose name is on the bill to verify that you are responsible for payment of the heating expense. If the bill is in a minor child's name, that child must reside in the home and a statement is not needed.
Please call The Salvation Army at 722-8721 to make an appointment, for more information, or for any questions about LIEAP.
The State of America's Children - a Report by The Children's Defense Fund
Every Fourth Child ... Still A WRAL documentary on poverty in North Carolina
Salvation Army Today - a Weekly Video News Show (link includes subscription option) | Southern Spirit Online - an online news publication for the Salvation Army Southern Territory | Youth Down South - an online publication of The Salvation Army Southern Territory Youth | Young Salvationist Magazine - The Salvation Army’s online magazine for teens and young adults | SayRevolution - theOfficial vendor for Salvation Army gear
The Salvation Army Winston-Salem Area Command, P. O. Box 1205, Winston-Salem, NC 27102. 336.723.6366