The Salvation Army in Winston-Salem
In 2007 the Salvation Army celebrated its 100th year of service to the Winston-Salem area. During our presence here, we touched the lives of some two million local residents.
The Salvation Army in Winston-Salem has been in operation since 1907. The first services of The Salvation Army focused on the poor and indigent of our city. Early intervention services included shelter, food, and clothing for Winston-Salem's poor and homeless. In 1953, The Salvation Army began offering preventative programs by forming the Red Shield Boys Club. Several years later, the Club was expanded to serve girls.
In the mid-seventies, The Salvation Army opened a Residential Re-Entry Center which served as a half-way house for federal prisoners. Today The Salvation Army Center of Hope also includes a homeless shelter for families and single women.
In addition to meeting basic needs and offering enrichment programs, The Salvation Army provides spiritual guidance and instruction through weekly worship services, Bible studies, music instruction, and character-building activities. These services are made available at the Washington Park Corps (services in English), the International Corps (services in Spanish) and the Kernersville Corps (services in Korean).
In the mid 1980's, the Winston-Salem Salvation Army extended its social services to neighboring Davie, Stokes, and Yadkin counties. Eligible individuals and families that benefit from The Salvation Army's Emergency Assistance Program receive cash grants for rent and utilities, food, clothing, medicine, or emergency lodging. More history
The Salvation Army Mission Statement
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
Early on in its history, The Salvation Army was set up with a quasi-military structure patterned after the ranks of the British Armed Forces. This structure has contributed to a reputation for discipline and mobility that serves the organization well. The Salvation Army is actually made up of several sub-groups, equally important, and instrumental in accomplishing the mission of spreading the gospel and serving humanity.
Commissioned from one of four Colleges for Officer's Training in the United States, officers are full-time personnel with responsibility for leadership of both the spiritual and social welfare work of The Salvation Army. Their ranks descend from General (the international leader stationed at International Headquarters in London) down to Lieutenant (the rank assigned upon commissioning). The Area Commanders for the Winston-Salem Area Command are Majors James and Lois Allison.
Soldiers are members who maintain their congregational church home at The Salvation Army and have signed a statement of beliefs, pledging to live up to a high code of moral conduct. They usually are employed outside of The Salvation Army in all manner of vocations and careers.
Advisory Board Members
Advisory Board members supply the back-bone of public support that sustains The Salvation Army in a local community. This board of volunteers advises The Salvation Army on matters of community priorities and needs. The board members also serve as ambassadors for the organization, enlisting financial support for the cause.
The Winston-Salem Advisory Board
Chairman: Lucy Paynter
Vice-Chair: Jack Sutton
Treasurer: Mike Huffman
Kay Johnson Ware
Dr. Ken Carlson
Dr. Cal Jeffers
Did you know . . . The Salvation Army has been serving Winston-Salem since 1907 and has touched the lives of some 2 million people?!— Salvation Army WS (@SalArmyWS) August 6, 2012
Majors James and Lois Allison are coming to Winston-Salem from The Salvation Army National Capital & Virginia Division where he served as General Secretary…
1923 - The Salvation Army begins working out of a building at 110 Second Street named The Salvation Army Citadel. The building is dedicated March 11, 1924…