The Salvation Army is known for helping people in times of disaster. But everyday, local families face a variety of crises:
The Salvation Army believes the core unit of a society is the family. For the thousands of families living in poverty, we provide a range of emergency assistance to help them through crisis situations.
Please note that these criteria are subject to change and that the offices in Greenville, Pickens, and Oconee Counties may require additional materials or may have to limit assistance/decrease assitance amounts due to funding challenges.
The Salvation Army will pay up to $200.00 towards a final notice utility bill, or court eviction notice, if the below requirements are met (no assistance with deposits or first month’s rent). You must call Greenville offices on Monday morning beginning at 8:00 am at 864-235-4803 to make an appointment. Appointments will be made at that time for the same week. Please contact the Pickens County office at 864-855-6408 and in Oconee County at 864-882-1160 for more details/restrictions.
Assistance up to $200 will be paid toward the following:
• Utility bill (final notice)
• Rent (with court eviction papers and excluding deposits and first month)
• Prescription Medication
1. South Carolina Identification Card or valid photo ID
2. Proof of Income for the entire household (employment pay stubs, or receiving Social Security benefits, Disability, or Unemployment) for 30 days preceding appointment date.
3. Proof of Expenses for the entire household (receipts for purchases made, bank listing of transactions, notarized statements from individuals paid) for 30 days preceding appointment date.
4. Final notice for a utility bill, Court Eviction papers for rental assistance, or current prescription.
5. You will be responsible for paying the balance of your bill, before we make our pledge.
*The person receiving assistance must first meet all above obligations toward the payment of the bill (e.g. your portion must be paid before we release our pledge). To apply for financial assistance, call to schedule an appointment on Monday mornings, and then bring the above documents at your appointment time. Financial assistance will be provided one time per 6-month period.
The Salvation Army provides bags of food Monday through Thursday from 8:00 - 10:00 am. Families or individuals may walk in during those hours. Participants receive 1-5 bags of groceries (depending on family size), and may receive food assistance once every 3 months. Please call for more information.
(USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.)
Requirements: proof of residency, photo I.D. for the applicant, and Social Security card. Additionally, Social security cards for all other members of the household must be provided. Individuals or families must have a permanent residence and not be living in a shelter facility to receive the food bags.
The Salvation Army provides vouchers clothing. 24 families or individuals each week will receive vouchers to our Family Store for $20 per family member.
The first 6 individuals/families are seen on a walk in basis Monday through Thursday, beginning at 8am.
Requirements: proof of residency, photo I.D for the applicant, and Social Security card. Additionally, Social Security cards for all other members of the household must be provided. Each family member may receive up to $20 worth of clothing per visit, and may visit once every three months.
Please call your local Salvation Army location for more information.